How to Register an Older Motorcycle in the UK and EU

Are you the proud owner of a classic motorcycle that’s over a decade old? Registering an older bike can be a bit tricky, especially if you’re looking to do so in the UK or other EU countries like France, Spain, or the Netherlands. In this article, we’ll guide you through the process of registering your vintage motorcycle, focusing on the requirements in the UK and providing insights for other European nations.

Registering an Older Motorcycle in the UK

When purchasing a motorcycle in the UK, you must register as the vehicle’s owner with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). This also applies if you’ve imported the bike or built it yourself. Here’s what you need to know:

  1. Buying a Used Motorcycle: The seller must register the vehicle as sold with the DVLA and provide you with the green “new keeper” form. They should also destroy their VC5 registration.
  2. Classic Motorcycles (Over 20 Years Old): If your bike is considered a classic, follow the steps for registering a historic motorcycle on the GOV.UK website.
  3. Unregistered Motorcycles (Not Taxed Since 1983): Follow the instructions on the GOV.UK website to register the vehicle with the DVLA for the first time.
  4. Registering with a Historic Number: To register a classic motorcycle under its original or historic registration number, complete form V765, have it endorsed by a classic vehicle owners’ club, and provide supporting documentation.

Registering an Older Motorcycle in Other EU Countries

When importing and registering an older motorcycle in other EU countries, the process may vary. Here’s a brief overview:

  • France: Obtain a Carte Grise (certificate d’immatriculation) from the French competent registration authorities.
  • Spain, The Netherlands, and More: Contact the local authorities in the country you’re importing your vehicle into for specific registration requirements.

The registration process for imported vehicles differs across EU countries. Consult the respective country’s official websites for detailed information on their procedures.

Certificate of Conformity (COC) for EU Registration

To register your motorcycle in an EU country, you may need to provide a Certificate of Conformity (COC). A COC declares that a vehicle complies with EU transport regulations and is only available for motorbikes manufactured after 2004. Most EU countries require a COC when registering a motorcycle purchased abroad.

Obtaining a COC can be a hassle-free process with the help of GetCOC, the top provider of official and authentic COCs valid in all EU and EEA countries. With their expertise and excellent customer service, GetCOC can assist you in securing a COC for your motorcycle quickly and efficiently.

In conclusion, registering an older motorcycle in the UK and other EU countries may seem daunting, but by following the appropriate steps and seeking assistance from reliable sources like GetCOC for your COC needs, you can ensure a smooth and successful registration process. Happy riding!